Greyhounds edge out victory over Wolves


Fans packed into the GFL Memorial Gardens last night, once again, to watch their home team battle the Sudbury Wolves. The last time these two teams faced off, the Wolves controlled most of the game, winning 6-3. The Hounds were looking for a better outcome and wanted to affect a strong start earlier in this match up.

First period: Early bird gets the worm

As mentioned in the pre-game analysis yesterday, if the Hounds were going to win this game they needed to start on time, and by golly they did! Within the first 5 minutes, the Greyhounds scored twice. The first goal on the power play was courtesy of #23, Rory Kerins, with #71, Tanner Dickinson, & #21, Ryan O’Rourke, getting the assists. The Hounds power play moved the puck quickly, forcing Sudbury to scramble and ultimately lose position.

The second goal of the period was scored by #9, Robert Calisti. This goal came as a result of winning a key puck battle in the corner, getting the puck back to the point, creating traffic in front of the net, and not giving the Wolves net minder Mitchell Weeks a chance to make the save. #23, Rory Kerins, and #12, Tye Kartye, got the 2 assists.

The Hounds, however, made 2 big mistakes in the first period. They let their foot off the gas and started taking penalties. The Wolves began to take control of the period, scoring 2 goals before the horn. The first of the two goals was the result of a power-play and was scored by  #88, David Goyette, off a great face-off play by the Wolves.  The second goal was scored by #91, Evan Konyen. The Hounds turned the puck over with under 10 seconds left in the 1st and the Wolves flipped that turnover into an easy 2 on 1 goal.

With the Wolves’ big push in the 1st period, they ended up out-shooting the Hounds 15-11. Taking some key momentum back into the dressing room.

Second period: Hounds penalties cause huge problems

The Wolves were able to carry the momentum they gained from the end of the first period and into the second.  The Greyhounds once again found themselves in some penalty troubles early on, sending Sudbury’s deadly power-play unit back on the ice. Just like in the first period, this put the Hounds behind the proverbial 8 ball and #16, Nick DeGrazia, pounced on a rebound before the Hounds goaltender Samuel Ivanov could cover it up, scoring an easy goal.

Once the Hounds went down 3-2, they seemed to wake up, out-shooting the Wolves 18-5 from that point on. They put significant pressure on the Wolves goalie, who had to come up with some very important saves. With the added pressure, the Hounds were also able to get on the power play twice. However, they could not find a way to put the puck in the back of the net.

The Hounds went back to the locker room down 3-2, but they were definitely still in this game.

Third period: No quit in this Hounds team

The Greyhounds came out flying in the third period, out-shooting Sudbury 8-2 within the first 10 minutes. As the Hounds continued to apply pressure on Weeks and the rest of the Wolves they found themselves once again back on the power play.

The Boys in Red and White used the extra space on the ice to make some crisp passes that ended up on #23, Rory Kerins’, stick once again.  Kerins, who makes no mistake, ended up scoring his 2nd goal of the night tying this game at 3 all. #71, Tanner Dickinson, & #21, Ryan O’Rourke, added the 2 assists.

You could tell neither team wanted this game going to overtime. Both teams’ goalies Samuel Ivanov and Mitchell Weeks, had to stay sharp making some key saves forcing this game into overtime.

The Hounds once again had the upper hand on the shot clock in that period, out-shooting the Wolves 19-6.

Well, that didn’t take long!

The Hounds won the opening face-off in overtime and never looked back, using their speed to enter the zone. Getting 3 shots on the net quickly, scored on the third rebound off the play, winning the game 4-3. #12, Tye Kartye, was the lucky and hard-working Hound who was able to barely get this puck across the line. #23, Rory Kerins, and #21, Ryan O’Rourke, got the 2 helpers on the game-winning goal.

The Hounds finished this game off strong, sticking to their plan by getting lots of shots on net, using their speed and size to enter the offensive zone. Getting a great come from behind win. The Greyhounds still took too many penalties in my opinion but that’s for another day.

Thank you for choosing SaultOnline/ONNtv for all your local, national, and international sports news.