Sault Ste. Marie’s reputation as the host city for major curling championships continues to grow with the latest event being the 2021 Everest Canadian Seniors Championship, December 6-11, 2021 at the Community First Curling Centre.
In the past the Sault has hosted both the men’s and women’s Canadian championships, the Brier and the Scotties, in addition to the Canadian Junior Championship, the Northern Ontario Provincial Championship and Grand Slam events.
Al Harnden, who is a past bronze medalist at the Canadian Seniors, is chair of upcoming event in the Sault.
“This is a major feather in our cap to host yet another national championship, “said Harnden. “Curling Canada is well aware of our past successes in putting on great curling shows and chose the Sault for the 2021 event.”
The six-day national competition will include 28 men’s and women’s teams from across the country comprised of more than 110 of Canada’s best senior curlers. Many of those curlers already have a long list of championship wins in competitions in their home provinces and territories as well as on the national stage.
Some 100 local volunteers have been working on Canadian Seniors project for the past several months and were given a personal thank you from Harnden and his Executive committee Wednesday night at a rally at the Community First Curling Centre. “This has been a huge task,” said Harnden. “You simply can’t do it without a strong, dedicated and knowledgeable volunteer force. We have the best!”
- 28 men’s and women’s curling teams from across Canada
- more than 110 senior curlers will be participating
- 100 volunteers from the local community will support the event
- 21 draws (games)
- Semi-finals and Championship on Saturday December 11, 2021
Full Event Passes for all six days of curling including the semi-finals and finals can be reserved at the Community First Curling Centre at 124 Anita Boulevard. Individual passes will be available each day of the event at the curling venue.
- available on the day of the event and at the Community First Curling Centre office
- Full Event Pass (includes 19 pool draws and playoffs)- $70
- 3 Draw Pack (pool play Monday-Friday)-$10
- Single Draw (pool play Monday-Friday)-$5
- Playoff Saturday Semi-Final-$10
- Playoff Saturday FINAL-$15
- Morning draws are free of charge.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL SPECTATORS MUST SHOW PROOF OF FULL COVID-19 VACCINATION AND I.D. FOR ENTRY TO THE EVENT.
Everest Funeral Concierge is the title sponsor of the Canadian Seniors event and World Financial Group (WFG) is the presenting sponsor. There has also been strong support from many Sault Ste. Marie and area businesses.