With the weather guru’s predicting a typical winter for Sault Ste. Marie, and knowing winter is the peak time for hydro prices, we wanted to reach out for some answers to frequently asked questions.
The Sault Ste. Marie Public Utilities Commission is in charge of everything hydro in the city. So who better to reach out to for questions like… how can you save money on your hydro bill?
Mark Britton, PUC’s conservation officer, sat down with us recently for an interview and gave these five helpful tips on how to save some money on hydro.
- Turn the heat down until someone complains.
- Use a programmable thermostat.
- Open blinds and curtains during peak sunlight hours to naturally heat your house, close them again at night to help keep heat in.
- Make sure your baseboard heaters and furnace are properly maintained. Make sure they aren’t blocked so the heat is getting into the home and not into the furniture which may be blocking the heat.
- If you aren’t using an appliance, unplug it, make sure that the appliances are not consuming energy when they aren’t needed to be.
The PUC webpage also contains additional information on how to save energy, where to turn if you need help and much more related to hydro in the city. They also encourage people to download their new app so you can see your consumption of services in near-real time.
Thank-you for choosing SaultOnline/ONNTV as your source for news in Sault Ste. Marie and surrounding area.