On Wednesday, December 1st, 2021, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews responded to a call of a fire in the 0-100 block of Albert Street West. The fire started shortly after 6 p.m. in the kitchen area of the multi-unit residential dwelling.
Upon arrival, fire crews were directed to the main level of the dwelling where flames were visible. Fire crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire.
Further investigation revealed the fire started from a pot of oil left unattended on the stove. Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to never leave cooking unattended. Stay in the kitchen at all times while cooking, cook on low heat, and refrain from using large amounts of cooking oil.
If a small kitchen fire does occur, put a lid over the pot and turn off the heat. A fire extinguisher could be an option to help extinguish the fire. If there is ever uncertainty, get out of the residence, close the door on the way out, and call 911 from outside of the residence.
There is significant smoke and fire damage to the residence. There were no injuries to report.