Moderate Damage To Carufel Ave Home In Early Morning Blaze


On Friday, February 03, 2023, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews responded to a call of a fire in the 100 block of Carufel Avenue. The fire started shortly after 8 a.m. in the crawl space of the single-family dwelling.

Upon arrival, fire crews were directed to the crawl space of the dwelling where smoke and flame was visible. Fire crews were able to contain the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be caused from the homeowner heating frozen pipes. Sault Fire Services reminds all citizens to take caution when thawing frozen pipes.

Use a space heater or blow dryer to warm the suspected frozen area and keep the heat source at a safe distance from its surroundings to avoid potential fires. Excessive heat from heat guns or a torch can lead to an untimely fire incident and should be avoided.

Prepare for colder weather ahead of time to ensure pipes do not freeze.

There is moderate fire damage to the residence. There were no injuries to report.